1. After you register to the Community Forums, please check your Inbox/Spam folder for email verification message. If you are still unable to receive the verification email, contact me here - https://prajwaldesai.com/contact-me/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Post your questions in the correct category. Do not post/add a different question under already posted thread. For troubleshooting purpose, attach the relevant log files, screenshots etc.
    Dismiss Notice

PENDING Undeployed or delete apps still appear in Software Center

Discussion in 'System Center Configuration Manager' started by AngeloG, Oct 25, 2017.

1. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

Hello All!

First time on this forums.

Got a problem with my SCCM server. Actually a few but I don't know if they're all related.

In the month of August, we've started to experience Windows Update (WSUS) issues as well as deployment issues. I've redone my WSUS (still experiencing other issues) but my deployments still experiencing problems. Let me all give you a situation.
    1. I create a deployment for Microsoft Visio 2016 (but it can be any software)
    2. I deploy to a test group
    3. The software appears in Software Center
    4. I test the install/uninstall process
    5. Once everything's good, I remove it from that deployment group. So right now, the software is no longer deployed
    6. I can refresh the policies as much as I want, Microsoft Visio 2016 still appears in Software Center.
    This situation appears with any software, whether it's a new software all together or an upgrade. It also happens if the software is completely removed from SCCM.

I'm using version 1706 and all clients are on Windows 10 Creator's Update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Edy

Edy Active Member

run macnine policy retrieval & evaluation cycle
    upload_2017-10-26_11-10-51.png

3. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

Thanks for your help Edy but if you look at my number 6, it just does work. We're a month later on some deployments and they still appear.

4. Edy

Edy Active Member

go to your application, click the deployment tab and make sure the collection that you mentioned above is not listed

upload_2017-10-26_14-8-31.png

Attached Files:

5. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

That is what I did in step 5. Like I said, I can completely delete the application from the SCCM console and it'll still appear in software center a month later. The only way I can rid of it is by uninstalling and reinstalling the client. But, the whole thing repeats if I delete, create or update an application.

6. Prajwal Desai

Prajwal Desai Well-Known Member

This is scary, the app when deleted shouldn't appear in the software center at any cost.

7. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

I'm having a consultant come in today to check it out. Hopefully we'll find a solution. I will post back and tell you all how it went.

8. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

Edy, as you can see, in the image below, there's no deployment for Microsoft Visio 2016 (64-bit).
    upload_2017-10-26_8-46-25.png

In my software center, I still get the software. The deployment was removed last week.
    upload_2017-10-26_8-46-54.png

I've retired and superseded Oracle Java 8 Update 144 when Update 151 was released.
    upload_2017-10-26_8-48-10.png

It is still showing up in my software center.
    upload_2017-10-26_8-48-37.png

Attached Files:

9. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

Hi guys, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know. The consultant is not coming today, but next Thursday... My bad.

10. Edy

Edy Active Member

lets try two things.

was the application deployed to multiple computers and all of them are still showing the app?

on one computer, try to reset ccm policies and validate if the software is still displaying or not.
    Powershell command below.
    Code:
    $SMSClient = [wmiclass]"\\.\root\ccm\SMS_Client"
    $returnvalue = $SMSClient.ResetPolicy(1)
    if ($returnvalue) {
      Write-Warning "Error occurred while resetting the policy"
    } else {
      Write-Host "Reset successful"
    }
    after that, on a different computer - retired the application from sccm, run machine policy on client and see if the app is removed from software center.

also check policyagent.log if your client is getting policies from sccm.

11. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

When I run the Powershell script, I get errors but it still says reset successful, is that normal?
    upload_2017-10-27_8-41-1.png

For PolicyAgent.log file, I don't have any error (red lines on cmtrace) and it look like it's getting the policies from the SCCM server without problems.

upload_2017-10-27_9-6-9.png

Here's the test:
    1. I've created a new app, Scratch Offline Editor.
    2. I've deployed it, as available, to my computer and another test computer.
    3. I'm refreshing the policies through the control panel applet, in the Actions tab
    4. So to answer your question... Yes upload_2017-10-27_10-2-35.png
    5. I'm now retiring the app
      upload_2017-10-27_10-7-15.png

6. Refreshing the policies
    7. Refreshing the policies, again...
    8. The app still appears on both computers

12. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

Something else that could give us a clue... When I initially created the Scratch Offline Editor app, I've refreshed the policy for the first time on my computer. I then noticed I didn't put an icon for the software center:

upload_2017-10-27_10-26-31.png

I've then updated the app in SCCM, refreshed the policies but the app still shows up without an icon. On my test computer, I've only refreshed the policies after I've added the new icon, hence the screenshot in my previous post.

You help is extremely appreciated... thank you so much.

13. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

Finally, what the consultant did was:
    - Disabled IPv6 on our main server
    - He changed the Software Update server to another VM, reinstalled all the components.
    - Modified the pool memory size for WSUS to 1024000
    - Added the "Dynamic Content Compression" server rule to one of our MP and other features.
    - decompression of folders where our source files were located
    Added on of our servers as a MP
    Removed a server's MP role and then reinstalled it.

And the list goes on and on...

I'm not an expert but I don't think all these operations were necessary. Although our initial problem is now solved, we're experiencing other issues. Our consultant is not answering my email.

I will try to troubleshoot this myself, if I can't I might come back here for more help ;)

This thread can be closed.

14. Youssef Saad

Youssef Saad Well-Known Member

If you still have the same problem, can you test clearing of the SCCM client cache? (%windir%\ccmcache)
    After that, you run the machine and user policy retrieval & evaluation cycle.

Let us know of the result.

15. Edy

Edy Active Member

Interesting how its got to do with SUS if thats what fixed it.
    I could replicate the same issue when i deleted the deployment when the application was in the middle of installing. The software was visible for a few days until it disappeared eventually. My case was to do with the supersedence.

upload_2017-11-13_14-2-28.png
    So whats the other issue? out of curiosity. Do you have access to Microsoft Premium Support?

16. AngeloG

AngeloG Member

This problem happened with newly created software.

And the software would stay in software center forever.

The other issues we're experiencing are newly created computers are having trouble downloading the latest CCM client version. It doesn't happen all the time though. So I don't know for sure if it's across our network or not.

Yes, I've tried that and that didn't work either. It looked like once the client got the initial policy (of a new software), it would not get any updates concerning that same software. But if I'd create a new deployment, it would appear. Any changes made to that software, would not be reflected on the clients.